UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS AMHERST + HANCOCK SHAKER VILLAGE / Master of Science in Design + Historic Preservation
Capstone Project: Creating a Historic Trades Program for Low Income Women of Colour at Springfield Technical Community College.
- Selected Coursework: "Hancock Shaker Village Brick Dwelling Conditions Assessment, Masonry and Mortar Analysis," "A Proposal for a High-Efficiency Renovation of the 1848 United Church of Pelham," "Structural Analysis of Building 7 at the Mass MOCA Mill Complex," "New Lebanon, NY Neighborhood Preservation Plan," "Shire City Sanctuary Conditions Assessment, Paint Analysis and Wood Analysis," "Timber Frame Survey c. 1757 Scribe Rule Barn in Winchester, NH."
Amherst & Pittsfield, MA: 2014-2016
YESTERMORROW DESIGN/BUILD SCHOOL / Semester Program in Sustainable Design/Build
- 16 week program in which I collaboratively completed the design and construction of a 650 square foot apartment known as "Krunkle House" with a team of six students and three instructors. I managed the building schedule, led exterior cladding research and installation as well as steel railing design, ordering, fabrication and installation.
Montpelier, VT: 2012
HAMPSHIRE COLLEGE / Bachelor of Arts
- Thesis: Collaborative Design/Build: Krunkle House and Abode Farm Cart
- Relevant Coursework: Historic preservation, architectural design studios, cooperative economics, community-based design, regional planning, law and politics of housing, landscape studies, site engineering, metalworking design and fabrication.
Amherst, MA: 2009-2013
CINNABAR DESIGN/BUILD / Carpenter
Los Angeles, CA: February 2017-present
MINI-BARR DESIGN/BUILD / Freelance
- Demolition, renovation carpentry, flooring and paint finishes in Venice, CA and Silver Lake, CA.
- CAD modeling for Abode Farm CSA greenhouse and timber frame cob oven shelter in Sleepy Hollow, NY.
- 567 Barn: overseeing and construction of a two story 24' x 42' timber framed barn kit in New Lebanon, NY.
- Insulation and dry-wall installation in a 19th century farmhouse in Killenagh, IR.
- Demolition, tiling, general carpentry in the renovation of a 1840 Greek Revival Church to a private residence in Pelham, MA.
- Graphic design + marketing for the Abode Farm CSA.
- Paint & wood analysis for Shire City Sanctuary in Pittsfield, MA.
Various Locations: 2013-present
OXBOW DESIGN BUILD / Carpenter
- Mill 180 Park: Framing, roof sheathing, painted plywood finishes on mushroom shaped mycology house. Framing and sheathing of indoor amphitheater, fabrication of mobile hydroponics planters and pergola. Wall sheathing, window jamb, corner detail fabrication and finishes.
- Milling, material ordering and shop maintenance.
Easthampton, MA: August 2015-April 2016
MOUNT LEBANON SHAKER MUSEUM / Historic Preservation Intern
- Great Stone Barn site cleanup and ramp construction.
- Carriage Barn stabilisation research and survey.
- Exhibition installation.
New Lebanon, NY: August 2014-November 2014
ABODE FARM CSA / Co-manager
- 8 acre horse-powered vegetable, herb and flower CSA. About 80 total shares that feed the greater New Lebanon community and the Abode of the Message, a Sufi commune.
- Grounds & construction, communication & marketing manager.
- Field planning, field work, greenhouse management, cooperative home/work organization, meeting facilitation, aluminum wheeled farm cart design and fabrication, draft horse management.
New Lebanon, NY: April 2012-August 2014
MIXED NUTS STUDENT RUN CO-OP / Staff Member
- Weekly shifts at the store front, facilitated all-staff meetings, held a facilitation workshop, active in interior management and dairy sourcing committees.
Amherst, MA: 2011-2012
GUIGNIER ORGANIC VINEYARD / Agricultural Apprentice
- Assisted team of 4 in management of 8 hectacres of organic wine grapes, cared for Belgian draft horse.
Vauxrenard, FR: Summer 2011
MASSACHUSETTS INTERNATIONAL FESTIVAL OF THE ARTS / Intern
- Organised archive of documents pertaining to the historic 1919 Victory Theatre renovation process in downtown Holyoke.
Holyoke, MA: 2011
GRANTS AND FELLOWSHIPS
HANCOCK SHAKER VILLAGE FEIGENBAUM FELLOW / Fall 2014, Spring 2015
CREATIVITY CENTER RODDENBERRY MICROGRANT AWARD / Spring 2013
LOCULUS: A Collective Understanding of a Multiplicity of Authenticities
Easthampton, MA / November 2015
"si je mange, je grossis" p. 17-23
"Loss is a Cerebral Passtime" p. 41-50
"I've been touched by the lord I don't need you anymore" p. 26-28
"History Pardons Colonialism: A Call for Curatorial Reassessment"
"Well Done Dick; Be Thou at Peace! / a beginning"
Cover artwork & drawing on p. 21
LOCULUS 1.2: A Collective Understanding of a Multiplicity of Authenticities /
Selected journal scan from exhibition
- Strong stamina for physical labour, used to working around 55 hours per week in the height of the annual growing season
- Rough carpentry
- Team facilitation and organization
- MIG & TIG welding, aluminum and steel fabrication
- Graphic Design
- Architectural materials testing and analysis
- Historic preservation consulting
- Drafting, illustrations
- Model making
- Adobe Creative Suite 5.5, Rhinoceros, Solidworks, Microsoft Office, Mac and PC friendly
FAIR TRADE SUSTAINABILITY ALLIANCE / Graphic Designer, Assistant
- Graphic design for marketing materials, website design, social media, managing licensing processes and agreements, general support for the director.
New Lebanon, NY: January 2015-August 2015
CRICKET CREEK CHEESE COUNTER AT BERKSHIRE ORGANICS / Co-manager
- Cheese ordering, managing inventory, creating signage and education materials, sampling cheese, tracking weekly income and expenses.
Dalton, MA: May 2014-January 2015
NATIONAL YIDDISH BOOK CENTER / Development Assistant
- Membership and development data entry, filing, archiving member files, front desk docent, gift shop checkouts.
Amherst, MA: 2010-2013